01 September 2007

happy september!

Things that ROCK:
1 - We got the keys to the studio, where we will be working and showing for the month, including the weekend of the SOWA Art Walk, which I could not be any more excited about. Really, it is ridiculous - I am bursting!

2 - Two more mini-manti are done. Meet 1. Iris, 2. Wilmont. Also, there are 8 more minis in the works, which I am hoping to have finished by Monday at the latest. Perhaps I may squeeze out a few more before Open Studio, but for now, I feel that is enough mini-manti. I am moving on to the other critters.

3 - Speaking of which, I have 6 little guys that just need detailing. And there are a few more woodchucks in the works. I will be sharing several finished pieces with you all soon, which makes me feel a little bit better about the fact that I have been so scarce around these parts lately.

bird bath

4 - As of today, it is one year that I have lived in Cambridge. I LOVE it here. So much. I don't know if I will spend the rest of my life here (as my ultimate goal for the last 7 years or so has been to live in San Fran), but for now, it is wonderful. It is the change I so desperately needed to make. I've gotten quite used to life over here, and I kinda don't miss NY at all. I miss certain aspects of it, like the pizza from San Remo's, pay-what-you-wish night at the museums, and the quality of the fabric shops over there. Overall, however, NY is just like one ugly memory that I am only trying to extract the positive from - and there's not much positive to be had, sadly. Funny, because I never thought I could live anywhere outside of NYC. I was one of those New Yorkers who kinda hated it there but just couldn't see themselves living anywhere else. How silly of me. I'm glad we took this chance and moved up here. I have no regrets, and I have truly learned that a) art is everywhere; it's up to you to appreciate it, b) same goes for culture, c) community is where you make it (as Beth once said), and d) home is where the heart is. My heart is happily planted here now. Hope you're all having a great weekend! I can't wait to share with you all the new softies I will be finishing up in the next few days.

snapdragons

4 comments:

orangefishy said...

Four very keen points, indeed. Especially the last... home is definitely where the heart is.

knittingphilistine said...

Congrats on the Open Studio/SOWA stuff! So good for your thriving little softie business. And speaking of Cambridge, it seems that my dissertation study collection is at Harvard, which means I will be spending a whole lot of time in Cambridge in the next year or two. Maybe a meetup sometime?

sulu-design said...

Amen to your a, b, c, and d, and to all of the NYC sentiments. Amen!

Sonya said...

San Francisco will gladly have you. Congrats on the studio!