01 May 2007

five years of doggone fun

malachi - what a heroic pose

Five years ago, I found this little guy, walking alone up and down Vernon Boulevard in Long Island City - no collar, no ID. I acted on impulse and took him in (in the middle of doing my laundry), hoping to locate his owners, but also hoping that if we couldn't find them, he could stay with us. I spent the $12 I had in my pocket on a collar and leash for him. (Luis from City Dog Lounge actually cut me a break on the price because Mali was a stray. We had to lure him into the pet shop with treats just to get the leash on him. Luis actually helped a lot in the following months with advice and information for a couple of new dog-owners.) Five years later, he is still with us, and I look back on that day as the luckiest day of my life. Who loves ya, Mali?!

P.S. - That heroic pose he's striking there? What you don't see in the frame is the ball I am holding off to the side, which is what he is intensely staring at. As soon as I took the photo, we played fetch as a reward. We had just come back from playing fetch in the backyard before I took the photo. He is tireless! Love that dog.

8 comments:

melissa said...

awww, he is a sweetie.

Sonya said...

You're using all the Hollywood dog tricks. It is the pose of heroes and he is a handsome thing!

Ashley said...

Aw, Mali! What a lucky guy to find you--I can't believe that anyone would let such a sweet pea get lost! Well, it was clearly meant to be so that he could find you...

Stitchcounter said...

What a cutie! Good for you for finding and keeping Mali. We have two dogs, both from rescue organizations. Life is so much better with our four-legged companions.

knittingphilistine said...

What a sweet, sweet babe!

lookwhaticando said...

He's gorgeous and very, very lucky to have found you. xo

Julia said...

What a beautiful dog. He looks so intelligent.

Emily said...

He is so adorable! You're very lucky to have such a great doggie friend.